Fresh Peach & Cherry Pie
- Enough pastry for a double crust pie, refrigerated (see links in story for pastry suggestions)
- 4 1/2 cups peeled and sliced ripe peaches (see link in story for blanching instructions)
- 1 cup pitted sweet cherries, preferably halved
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice plus 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream plus extra sugar, for glaze
- If you haven't already, prepare your pie dough and divide it into two pieces, one for the top crust and one for the bottom crust; make the piece for the bottom crust slightly larger. Shape into 3/4-inch thick disks, then wrap in plastic and refrigerate for 45 to 60 minutes before rolling.
- Preheat the oven to 400°. Put one of your oven racks in the lowest position and the other one in the middle of the oven.
- Prepare the filling: combine the peaches and cherries in a large mixing bowl. Add the sugar, cornstarch, nutmeg, and salt. Mix well, breaking up any clumps of cornstarch you might see. Stir in the lemon juice and lemon zest. Set the filling aside.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll the larger disk of dough into a 12 1/2- to 13-inch circle and line a 9 1/2-inch deep-dish pie pan with it, letting the edge hang over the sides of the pan. Refrigerate while you roll the other piece of dough into an 11 1/2- to 12-inch circle. Use a small round cutter to make a hole in the center of the dough. (Lacking that, poke several holes in the top pastry with a paring knife after you attach the top crust, twisting the blade to expand the holes somewhat.)
- Transfer the filling to the pie shell, smoothing to even it out. Lightly moisten the edge of the shell with a wet fingertip or pastry brush. Drape the top pastry over the filling, pressing along the edge to seal. To finish off the edge, either trim it - leaving a 3/4-inch overhang - then pinch into an upstanding ridge; flute if desired. Or simply trim the excess dough with a paring knife, flush with the edge of the pan, then use a fork to crimp it.
- Mix the 3 tablespoons heavy cream with 2 teaspoons water. Brush it lavishly over the pie, but don't let it puddle. Sprinkle the top of the pie generously with sugar, then brush the top again with a little more of the cream.
- Place the pie on a baking sheet, preferably one lined with parchment, and bake on the lower rack for about 25 minutes. Reduce the heat to 375°. Move the sheet up to the center rack and bake another 25 to 35 minutes, until the top is a rich golden brown and any visible juices bubble thickly. Cool on a rack for at least 2 hours before serving. Makes 8 to 10 servings.
Recipe by The Pie Academy at http://thepieacademy.com/fresh-peach-and-cherry-pie/